On Aug. 16, 2022, powerlifter Serena Abweh shared a video of herself on her Instagram web page finishing a uncooked deadlift of 161 kilograms (355 kilos) throughout a training session. It’s a private file (PR) that surpasses her all-time competitors greatest within the 48-kilogram class on the 2021 United States Powerlifting Affiliation (USPA) New Mexico State Championships by 8.5 kilograms (18.8 kilos).
The deadlift can be 3.4 occasions Abweh’s competitors physique weight. She used a sumo stance, blended grip, and donned a lifting belt to seize her new deadlift PR. Given the casualness of her pull, it could be truthful to imagine that Abweh had extra within the tank. You may take a look at footage of the strength feat by way of her Instagram profile under:
Abweh is in her early 20s however has already amassed a powerful aggressive resume in her approximate four-year profession. As primarily a Juniors competitor, Abweh has gained six of seven profession contests.
Abweh’s lone non-first-place end was a fifth-overall end result within the Juniors 47-kilogram division throughout the 2020 Worldwide Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Traditional Powerlifting Championships. Right here’s a rundown of Abweh’s full resume thus far:
Serena Abweh | Competitors Resume (Juniors)
- 2018 USPA APEMAN Traditional Powerlifting Championships — First place
- 2018 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Southwest Regional Championships — First place
- 2018 USAPL Uncooked Nationals — First place
- 2019 IPF World Traditional Powerlifting Championships — Fifth place
- 2019 USAPL Uncooked Nationals — First place
- 2020 USAPL Collegiate Cup and Texas Open — First place
- 2021 USPA New Mexico State Championships — First place
Right here’s an summary of Abweh’s all-time competitors bests on every of the benchmark lifts in powerlifting:
Serena Abweh* | All-Time Competitors Bests
- Squat — 100 kilograms (220.4 kilos)
- Bench Press — 67.5 kilograms (148.8 kilos)
- Deadlift — 152.5 kilograms (336.2 kilos)
- Whole — 310 kilograms (683.4 kilos)
*Observe: The American athlete has solely ever competed uncooked.
Abweh’s Future Outlook
The 2021 USPA New Mexico State Championships was the final time Abweh competed on a sanctioned lifting platform. On the time of this text’s publication, the athlete has not disclosed when she is going to function in a contest once more. Up to now, she’s usually participated in two competitions per yr, with solely 2022 up to now being an outlier.
In January 2022, the USA Powerlifting group reinstated the Ladies’s 44-kilogram and 48-kilogram divisions whereas shifting previous the 47-kilogram class. If Abweh competes internationally, significantly in any IPF contest, she may have the choice to remain at 47 kilograms.
Featured picture: @rena_serenaa on Instagram