Q2 2022 – June 8, 2022
Person Tales to focus on:
The NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program carried out a person survey in Q2 2022, receiving over 250 responses from our customers, highlighting their person tales and offering suggestions on all the pieces from information merchandise to platform companions.
- Respondents represented a various group of NGO, Governmental, Tutorial, and Multilateral customers – a wonderful illustration of our total various group of NICFI customers!
From these surveys, we discovered about among the fascinating methods and places the person neighborhood is taking a look at and placing the high-resolution information to work, together with (however not restricted to):
- The Laos Division of Forestry, with help from Kokusai Kogyo Co. Ltd., is utilizing the Planet-NICFI Information to observe forest loss in help of the Measurement, Reporting, and Verification of Diminished Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) necessities for its F-REDD Term 2 agreement, supported by Japan’s Worldwide Cooperation Company (JICA).
- Tanzania’s Nationwide Parks Company is utilizing the high-resolution monitoring to create hearth alerts inside Udzungwa Mountains Nationwide Park.
- The Agrhymet Regional Centre, a specialised inter-governmental company composed of 13 international locations within the Sahel area, helps practice determination makers in Burkina Faso, Ghana, Niger, and Senegal to leverage the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program of their forest & land use selections. They be aware that the info out there by this program is especially useful as a result of they will validate adjustments in areas the place entry is tough as a result of insecurity.
- The Bolivian Affiliation for the Analysis and Conservation of Andean-Amazonian Ecosystems (ACEAA) leverages the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program to detect deforestation and fires within the protected areas of Porvenir, Puerto Rico, and Santa Rosa jurisdictions. They be aware that the info out there by this program is especially useful in seeing by the clouds in high-altitude Bolivian areas.
- The Know-how for Wildlife Basis is placing the info to work in India, monitoring land use change close to coastal mangrove and forest ecosystems. They be aware that the info “permits us to have a look at change in land use and biomass at a granular stage; it’s invaluable for our varied [conservation] tasks.”
- The College of Brasilia has included the info in its distant sensing courses.
- WWF-Brasil and the Kaninde Ethno-Environmental Protection Affiliation are utilizing the NICFI-Planet information to help indigenous communities monitoring and defending their territory within the Brazilian Amazon. They be aware that the knowledge helps their early monitoring and alerts system, which is complemented by an indigenous patrol workforce that performs surveillance on the bottom. The info from the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program additionally helps the indigenous organizations to endorse authorized complaints to the related authorities, in addition to to supply communications supplies to deliver higher consideration to the significance of defending indigenous territories within the Amazon.
- Universitas Brawijaya in Indonesia is utilizing the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program to enhance biomass and carbon maps and fashions, discovering the high-resolution remotely sensed information to be a more practical and environment friendly approach in comparison with conventional terrestrial surveys. The analysis workforce is now working in the direction of publications and incorporating the info into their instructing for distant sensing college students
Occasions & Publications to focus on:
- Launch of NICFI Program Assets and Programs on Planet University!
- New Social Media Playbook – we need to hear from you, our person neighborhood!
- NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program highlighted on the World Forestry Congress, together with remarks from the Norwegian Ministry of Local weather and Surroundings, The Democratic Republic of the Congo Ministry of Surroundings, and the Forestry Division of the Meals and Agriculture Group of the United Nations!
- ESA’s Dwelling Planet Symposium noticed a number of displays and abstracts from the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program, together with massive space mapping of smallholder agriculture and monitoring of small-scale forest disturbances like logging within the Congo Basin. Additionally on the occasion, the GEO Indigenous Alliance hosted a session entitled “In the direction of COP27: Environmental Fairness and Indigenous Local weather Management” the place they introduced its indigenous community-led, EO based mostly tasks in want of help that handle the next interrelated areas: girls and youth empowerment, local weather adaptation, meals safety, and catastrophe threat administration.
- Later this month, we can be on the Oslo Tropical Forest Discussion board and internet hosting a gap reception. For members of the NICFI Satellite tv for pc Information Program neighborhood additionally attending, please register for this aspect occasion here.