North Carolina Dental Board Disciplines DSO-Affiliated Dentist for Failure to Adequately Supervise Practices | Fox Rothschild LLP
The NC State Board of Dental Examiners (“Dental Board”) not too long ago disciplined a dentist in March 2022 for failing to adequately supervise her observe places in North Carolina. The dentist, who’s licensed in North Carolina however lives in Indiana, is the only real proprietor of an expert company with two observe places. Though different licensed dentists work on the practices, the Dental Board decided that the proprietor did not adequately supervise the practices as a result of she:
- Had not visited both location since they opened in 2020,
- Had no communications with the dentists or scientific workers of the practices, and
- Was not concerned with the interviewing or hiring of dentists or scientific workers.
The practices had a administration settlement with a dental help group (DSO) for enterprise companies that had beforehand been discovered compliant with the Dental Board’s Administration Preparations Rule (MAR) in 2019. Nevertheless, the proprietor dentist had agreed that she was nonetheless obligated to adequately supervise her practices though she lived out of state and had contracted with a DSO.
The Dental Board imposed a 5-year probationary interval on the dentist, throughout which she should:
- Straight talk with the scientific workers or be bodily current for no less than eight hours per quarter in every location;
- Submit quarterly studies of her communications and visits with every observe, and a annual CPA accounting of all funds to the DSO and all revenue paid to the proprietor; and
- Personally deal with hiring and firing of all dentists and scientific workers.
Importantly, the Dental Board didn’t discover that the non-owner dentists did not adequately supervise the care supplied in every location. As an alternative, the disciplinary order stated that the proprietor of an expert entity should adequately supervise and management the observe, and can’t allow an unlicensed particular person or entity to manage or function the observe. The Dental Board’s order is a transparent reminder, that, though administration agreements with DSOs are permitted in North Carolina, licensed dentists stay accountable for all scientific elements of their practices.
3.8.2022 Consent Order by NC State Board of Dental Examiners