The solar has reached its peak angle and is in its full, good splendor all through the lengthy summer season days earlier than making its sluggish descent towards its decrease arc throughout winter’s relative darkness. We’ve got reached a turning level within the 12 months. The summer season solstice, coming from the Latin phrases “sol” (solar) and “stitium” (nonetheless or stopped), is the longest day of the 12 months and the shortest evening. It’s a day of celebration, with fires and flower lanterns being lit throughout the land to honor the energy of the solar.
Fireplace has at all times been an vital custom in solstice celebrations all over the world. In historical occasions it was thought that lighting a hearth on the summer season solstice would increase the solar’s vitality for the rest of the rising season and provides encouragement for a superb harvest within the fall. In fashionable occasions, a hearth is just not at all times a sensible strategy to have a good time. As an alternative, mild a candle and place it right into a do-it-yourself pressed flower lantern to mild the best way as we encourage the vitality of the solar to brighten the remainder of the 12 months.
Utilizing Pressed Flowers in Your Summer time Solstice Celebration
It’s becoming to make use of flowers in a summer season solstice celebration. In any case, gardens are overflowing with colours because the summer season months method, with flowers stretching their colourful heads in direction of the solar for solar-infused vitality. When selecting flowers for this undertaking, be aware to solely gather from vegetation which are plentiful. Depart sufficient for our pollinators! You also needs to seek for flowers which are naturally flat and have single-layered petals to be able to simply connect them to your lantern as soon as dried. A few of our favorites embody pansies, violas, daisies, cosmos, and candy alyssum.
Summer time Solstice Lantern
Glass jars used for canning or recycled glass pasta sauce jars (they need to have easy sides)
Mod Podge or white college glue
1-inch extensive artist paintbrush
Forceps (or tweezers) for ease of selecting up pressed flowers
Tea lights or battery-operated lights for kids
Optionally available: 12-gauge wire to make a deal with for carrying
- Choose and press your flowers. We discover utilizing a press is the best choice, however in a pinch, you might additionally press them between pages of heavy books with white tissue paper to guard the pages.
- Totally clear and dry the jar supposed to be used.
- Ever so barely water down white glue or use Mod Podge as-is. We want the frosted look of matte Mod Podge.
- Utilizing your artist paintbrush, swipe a number of the paste throughout the surface of one of many sides of your jar. It is best to cowl the facet in a skinny layer.
- Utilizing forceps, gently lay pressed flowers or ferns onto the paste, being cautious to not harm petals. You could want to carry sections of the flower down for just a few seconds utilizing the forceps to make sure that they adhere correctly. Proceed this course of across the complete exterior of the jar. Permit to dry totally.
- To guard your design, swipe a layer of paste over the pressed flowers which are adhered to your jar. This ensures that they’ll keep connected and last more. Permit to dry totally.
- This step is non-obligatory. You could want in your lantern to have a deal with. If so, fold your 12-gauge wire in half and start twisting a deal with, beginning on the fold. As soon as it’s your desired size, wrap the 2 unfastened ends of the wire across the jar and pull them by the small loop that was created once you folded the wire in half. Make certain these items of wire are beneath the lip of the jar and are stored cosy so they don’t slide off. After the wires have gone by the loop on the deal with, cross them over and wrap them round to the opposite facet once more. Twist the 2 wires collectively to firmly maintain them in place. Trim the ends or curl them round a pencil for added ornament.
- Place a tea mild into your lantern. We want beeswax tea lights, as they burn cleanly. In case you are anxious concerning the candles shifting an excessive amount of, you’ll be able to add a ½-inch layer of sand or salt to the underside of the lantern to assist maintain the candle in place.
Days will develop shorter, nights will develop longer, and nonetheless, the pure world is crammed with vibrant and colourful life all year long. Over the centuries, the summer season solstice has impressed many midsummer celebrations involving bonfires, singing, and dancing in celebration of the pure world. Connecting with the cycles of the planet and constructing your personal traditions akin to these pressed flower lanterns will assist you mark the passage of time and have a good time with family members. Nevertheless you select to cherish the day, be sure you benefit from the longest day of the 12 months to its fullest!